- "There was nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars." — Jack Kerouac
- French election 2017: voters go to the polls in wide-open contest
- 'I'm transgender': India grapples with prejudices left over from British rule
- North Korea warns Australia of possible nuclear strike if it 'blindly toes US line'
- Thousands march in Venezuela in honour of those killed in unrest
- French Guiana strikes lifted after aid package agreed with Paris
- Taliban kill more than 140 Afghan soldiers at army base
- Trump’s offensive to ‘wipe out’ al-Shabaab threatens more pain for Somalis
- US forces say Taliban 'target of interest' since 2011 killed in Afghanistan
- 'Obviously we speak English': Brits complain about Australia's new citizenship crackdown
- Abortion in Ireland: committee votes for constitutional change
- Trump Reaches Beyond West Wing for Counsel
- Major Hurdle for a Tax Code Overhaul: Trump’s Own Field
- Trump Vows to Unveil Tax-Cut Plan Next Week, Surprising Staff
- France, March for Science, Bill O’Reilly: Your Weekend Briefing
- At a ‘Unity’ Stop in Nebraska, Democrats Find Anything But
- ‘A Shortage of Coffins’ After Taliban Slaughter Unarmed Soldiers
- Armed Civilian Bands in Venezuela Prop Up Unpopular President
- Meet Three Scientists Ready to March
- Your Daily Mini Crossword
- Comey Tried to Shield the F.B.I. From Politics. Then He Shaped an Election.
- Nearing 100 days, Trump’s approval at record lows but his base is holding
- Ryan promises to keep government open — and makes no promises on health care
- ‘Dark money’ vs. corporate cash: Virginia Democratic rivals clash over funding
- Though shovels are ready, Trump officials delay grant for Caltrain upgrade
- Why Trump should think twice before blaming someone else for his meh 100 days
- Trump is now supporting far-right French candidate Marine Le Pen, for all intents and purposes
- Bernie Sanders's strange behavior
- Trump awards Purple Heart to wounded soldier at Walter Reed
- A scholar asks, ‘Can democracy survive the Internet?’
- Trump to hold 100th-day rally on same night as White House correspondents' dinner
- "On this road there are no godspoke men. They are gone and I am left and they have taken with them the world. Query: How does the never to be differ from what never was?" -- Cormac McCarthy, The Road
Category Archives: Film Noir
From IMDB: “Frank Johnson flees police after becoming an eyewitness to murder. He is pursued around scenic San Francisco by his wife, a reporter, the police, and… the real murderer.” Not bad. Has a 7.3 rating on IMDB.
Barbara Stanwyck is the ruthless, domineering woman married to Kirk Douglas, a sniveling alcoholic D.A., who is the only living witness to a crime comitted years earlier. Van Heflin is the childhood flame who returns to town and throws a wrench in the works. Good flick, early Kirk Douglas role.
From Internet Archive: “Harsh tale of an alienated criminal’s attempt to impersonate his psychiatrist-double. Important fatalistic noir, with classy visuals and a very fine script that features a creative doppelganger theme.” – noir expert Spencer Selby.