- "There was nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars." — Jack Kerouac
- Italy earthquake: investigation launched as nation mourns
- Dwyane Wade: cousin of NBA star shot dead while pushing baby in stroller
- Bangladeshi jail ‘cover-up’ as UK journalist faces trial
- Nasa spacecraft Juno skims Jupiter's clouds in record-breaking mission
- Virtual reality gets starring role at Venice film festival
- Grandmother of African art finds unlikely partner in war on Aids
- Millions at risk as deadly fungal infections acquire drug resistance
- Venezuela opposition leader Daniel Cabellos seized and imprisoned
- Relative of Charlie Hebdo attacker held on terror charge in France
- Turkey-allied Syrian rebels clash with Kurdish-led forces
- ‘No Vacancies’ for Blacks: How Donald Trump Got His Start, and Was First Accused of Bias
- Applying for Housing at a Trump Property in the '60s
- Donald Trump Tries to Clarify Immigration Plan, but Avoids Key Issue
- Donald Trump Uses Death of Dwyane Wade’s Cousin to Illustrate His View
- Breitbart Rises From Outlier to Potent Voice in Campaign
- What University of Texas Campus Is Saying About Concealed Guns
- ‘No One Is Safe’: Zimbabwe Threatens to Seize Farms of Party Defectors
- Your Daily Mini Crossword
- SEAL Team 6 and a Man Left for Dead: A Grainy Picture of Valor
- Well: Can High-Intensity Exercise Help Me Lose Weight? And Other Questions, Answered
- Inside debate prep: Clinton’s careful case vs. Trump’s ‘WrestleMania’
- In establishment-friendly flip, Va. GOP picks primary over convention for 2017
- Trump says 'on day one' he is removing 'criminal illegal immigrants'
- Trump calls immigration enforcement a civil rights issue
- Donald Trump tries to leverage a high-profile slaying into a campaign appeal
- LePage doubles down: 'The enemy right now' is 'people of color or people of Hispanic origin'
- What's next in the fight over EpiPen's ridiculously high prices?
- Trump on November election: 'This chance will never come again.'
- Trump: 'Hillary Clinton thinks she is entitled to be president.'
- Trump’s Virginia Mini-Me: Corey Stewart ties his ambitions to the GOP candidate
- “The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.” ― Hunter S. Thompson, Hell's Angels
What do Sigmund Freud, Joseph Goebbels and Betty Crocker have in common? Ever wonder why anyone would choose to buy a Rolex when a Timex keeps time just as well? Hint: some smart people figured out how to tap into our unconscious fears and desires and over the past century we’ve been the unwitting subjects of a wildly successful mass experiment in consumer manipulation and social control. Adam Curtis of the BBC reveals who they were and how they did it…
**FAIR USE NOTICE**
These Videos May Contain Copyrighted (© ) Material. The Use of Which Has Not Always Been Specifically Authorized by The Copyright Owner. Such Material is Made Available to Advance Understanding of Ecological, Political, Human Rights, Economic, Democracy, Scientific, Moral, Ethical, Social Justice Issues, Teaching, and Research. It is believed that this Constitutes a ”Fair Use” of Any Such Copyrighted Material as Provided For in Section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In Accordance With Title – 17 U.S.C. Section 107, This Material is Distributed Without PROFIT to Those Who Have Expressed a Prior General Interest in Receiving Similar Information For Research and Educational Purposes. For More Information:http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode
Groucho parodies the intelligence of the intelligence services in the April Fool’s Day 1946 edition of Life magazine. Hail, Hail Freedonia!… Click the picture to check it out:
Photo Copyright Firesign Theatre 1969
Note – there is also a fascinating article about the Fuller House in Wichita Kansas, Buckminster Fuller’s proposed solution to the housing shortage of the immediate post-war years…