- "There was nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars." — Jack Kerouac
- Battle for Florida: Trump and Clinton home in on crucial state as voting begins
- Idlib school attack could be deadliest since Syrian war began, says UN
- Belgian politicians drop opposition to EU-Canada trade deal
- Restorers lift the lid on Jesus's tomb in Jerusalem
- Calais camp: police detain young people amid chaotic scenes
- Angela Merkel: internet search engines are 'distorting perception'
- Yazidi women who escaped from Isis win EU human rights prize
- Land that debt forgot: tiny Pacific country of Niue has no interest in loans
- Italy earthquakes rattle buildings and residents two months after disaster
- Xi Jinping becomes 'core' leader of China
- Some Donald Trump Voters Warn of Revolution if Hillary Clinton Wins
- Donations to Foundation Vexed Hillary Clinton’s Aides, Emails Show
- Mediator: Megyn Kelly’s Pivotal Moment in a Post-Ailes Era at Fox News
- Abandoning Donald Trump and, for Some Women, the G.O.P., Too
- California Today: California Today: The Drug Industry Has Spent $109 Million to Kill Prop 61. Here’s Why.
- Your Daily Mini Crossword
- Broadband Providers Will Need Permission to Collect Private Data
- Individualized Ads on TV Could Be One Result of AT&T-Time Warner Merger
- AT&T’s Vision of Ultrafast Wireless Technology May Be a Mirage
- Boko Haram Attacks Signal Resilience of ISIS and Its Branches
- Trump pledges ‘new deal for black America’
- Cable giant Comcast names new regulatory point person in Washington
- Michelle Obama: Rigged election warnings are 'trying to take away your hope'
- Clinton warns supporters against overconfidence as Trump focuses on tight race in Ohio
- Why is national polling all over the map?
- Once a thorn in Trump's side, New York Post appears all in to Make America Great Again
- Inside the Clinton campaign's anti-Trump surrogate rollout plans
- Md. Democrats clash over who should battle Republican Gov. Larry Hogan
- Michelle Obama's emotional remarks about hope and potential
- Hillary Clinton: 'Seriously, is there anyone more inspiring than Michelle Obama?'
- “The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.” ― Hunter S. Thompson, Hell's Angels
What do Sigmund Freud, Joseph Goebbels and Betty Crocker have in common? Ever wonder why anyone would choose to buy a Rolex when a Timex keeps time just as well? Hint: some smart people figured out how to tap into our unconscious fears and desires and over the past century we’ve been the unwitting subjects of a wildly successful mass experiment in consumer manipulation and social control. Adam Curtis of the BBC reveals who they were and how they did it…
**FAIR USE NOTICE**
These Videos May Contain Copyrighted (© ) Material. The Use of Which Has Not Always Been Specifically Authorized by The Copyright Owner. Such Material is Made Available to Advance Understanding of Ecological, Political, Human Rights, Economic, Democracy, Scientific, Moral, Ethical, Social Justice Issues, Teaching, and Research. It is believed that this Constitutes a ”Fair Use” of Any Such Copyrighted Material as Provided For in Section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In Accordance With Title – 17 U.S.C. Section 107, This Material is Distributed Without PROFIT to Those Who Have Expressed a Prior General Interest in Receiving Similar Information For Research and Educational Purposes. For More Information:http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode
Groucho parodies the intelligence of the intelligence services in the April Fool’s Day 1946 edition of Life magazine. Hail, Hail Freedonia!… Click the picture to check it out:
Photo Copyright Firesign Theatre 1969
Note – there is also a fascinating article about the Fuller House in Wichita Kansas, Buckminster Fuller’s proposed solution to the housing shortage of the immediate post-war years…